Page title

Section title

Types of Work Visa (Requirements/Application Process)

Lenuel Morales

Types of Work Visas in South Korea:

• E-1 professor visa: Expatriates wanting to give lectures or do research in their field at a college-level education facility should apply for this visa. It’s a multiple-entry option valid for one year, and employees can typically renew it in one-year intervals.

• E-2 foreign language instructor visa: This visa is an option for expatriates looking to teach a foreign language at a company, broadcast station-owned school, elementary school, middle school, or high school. It is a multiple-entry visa valid for two years and can be renewed every two years by the employee.

• E-3 research visa: E-3 visas are for expatriates researching natural science or advanced technology through an invitation by a public or private institution. The E-3 is another multiple-entry visa good for one year with the option to renew every year.

• E-4 technological guidance visa: Expatriates with unmatched experience in science or technology can come to South Korea on an E-4 visa when invited by a public or private organization. A multiple-entry version of this visa is good for one year and can be renewed each year, while a single-entry visa is good for three months and can also be renewed every year.

• E-5 special profession visa: The E-5 visa is for architects, lawyers, physicians, accountants, and more who are internationally licensed and have permission from the South Korean government to practice in their chosen field. Choose a multiple-entry visa to stay for a year and renew in one-year intervals or a single-entry visa to stay for three months.

• E-6 culture and art visa: Expatriates with musical, artistic, or literary backgrounds can work in a variety of jobs to obtain this multiple-entry visa valid for one year. They can renew it every year, as well.

• E-7 specially designed activities visa: Expatriates must participate in activities the Korean Ministry of Justice designed through a public or private organization. Employees can choose the multiple-entry option to stay for one to three years and can renew it in one- to three-year intervals. They can also obtain a single-entry visa for three months and renew it every year.

• D-5 long-term news coverage visa: This visa is specifically meant for reporters working in foreign media such as broadcasting, newspapers, magazines, and more. It’s good for three months and can be renewed yearly.


Requirements for South Korea Work Visas:

Every South Korea working visa has a different stipulation. However, most mandate that the applicant submit a completed application form, an original passport and copies, and a colored passport-style photo. Other requirements may include:

• A copy of the employment contract

• Educational and professional certificates

• Criminal Record

• Recommendation letter


Application Process:

As of April 6, 2020, South Korea currently only offers the option of obtaining a visa through a government diplomatic office, either an embassy or a consulate, as a visa on arrival is not available for the country.

• Application from a foreign South Korean diplomatic mission.

• Confirmation of the visa at a South Korean immigration office.

*Usually, it's your job that determines which visa you need and how you should apply for it. Keep in mind that your company must be a legal entity in South Korea to obtain an application for every employee. Your employer will then act as a sponsor for all the work visa applicants.

Install Wonderful Korea App